Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patty / Green Beer Day


I have two memories of St. Patty's Day.


What I mean is that when I think of St. Patty's Day, two very different thoughts come to mind.


First, I think about dive bars and green dye in Coors Lite and people guzzling that nasty stuff down. (I dated a microbrewery owner many moons ago and I have no problem admitting I'm a beer snob of the highest degree.)


Second, I think about being a kid and always wanting to wear a green shirt or a green dress on St. Patty's Day. No brainer, right? For some reason - and I bet my mother will deny this! - she always made us wear regular clothes and pinned a small square of green construction paper to our shirts.


"You're not wearing green!" Some 3rd grader would say, pinching my ribs.


I'd defensively point to my square of green over my heart and pinch them back.


You'd think I would make amends for this by dressing my kids in spectacular green outfits today, right? I am sad to say that I blew it. I totally forgot it was St. Patty's Day and we didn't even accidentally have a streak of green on anything we wore. But the worst part is that for a split second I actually considered finding some green construction paper at the CVS across from Arlo's school...


Happy St. Patty's Day, everyone.
Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. What a cute story! I got such a chuckle reading about your square of green construction paper pinned to your clothing. Goodness, couldn't your Mom have cut it into the shape of a shamrock???? ;-) I wore green yesterday and my daughter pinched me! I looked at her with a questioning gaze and asked, "what was that for"? She thought you were SUPPOSED to pinch if one IS wearing green! Oh brother!

    ReplyDelete