Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Love Dirt!

I stumbled upon this great book - "I Love Dirt: 52 Activities to Help You & Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature" by Jennifer Ward. Pride leads me to inform you that I know my way around the outdoors. I may not be much of a camper (I need my daily showers and the bugs like me a little too much) but I grew up playing in the Oklahoma pastures and today I can't resist a good hike. But, I can always use a little inspiration for outdoor things to do with my little ones, especially in these cold winter days.

Score! I found a great activity for winter days, and this one will work for my one year old, my three year old and my 15 year old stepdaughter. The project is to design treats for the winter birds that stick around during the cold months. Food, including orange wedges, seeds, and nuts can be used. I love the book's idea of using pinecones smothered with a mixture of peanut butter, raisins, sunflower seeds, cornmeal, and oatmeal and to skewer orange slices on sticks to make bird shish kebabs. I'm not sure which the kids will find most fun - creating the bird food or watching the birds enjoy our tasty treats. Either way, I'll take pictures and report back.

What are your favorite outdoor winter activities with small children?

No comments:

Post a Comment