Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ten Minutes in Heaven


By midday yesterday, I needed rescue. Too little sleep the previous night and lots of heat outside = Aggitated Mama.




When both babies were sleeping soundly in their rooms, I turned to a favorite restorative yoga pose that always refreshes. Viparita karani, or legs up the wall pose, is my go-to pose when I need a quick fix.




To get into the pose, slide your bum up against a wall and allow your legs to stretch up the wall. Your back is on the floor. I add a touch recommended by a chiropractor - putting a rolled towel under my neck to allow those muscles to realign. The theraputic benefits of this pose include the following:




  • Relieves tired or cramped legs and feet


  • Gently stretches the back legs, front torso, and the back of the neck


  • Relieves mild backache


  • Calms the mind


Ten minutes in legs up the wall pose and I feel like a new woman: maybe not Zen Mama, but at least Refreshed Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment